Learn how to change Solo withdrawal credentials to 0x01 address using Windows.
Ensure that the Windows machine you are using for executing the change in withdrawal credentials is not infected with any malware and can be disconnected from the Internet at a certain stage of the credentials change process.
If you are not using anti-virus software regularly, we recommend that you use a trial version of malwarebytes.com to conduct a full scan of your machine before proceeding with the credentials change process.
You will need the mnemonic (seed phrase) you used for creating Solo validators to execute this procedure. Do not discard the mnemonic (seed phrase) after you complete the procedure and continue to keep it safe (ideally stored offline or on an airgapped machine).
You will need to provide a withdrawal address where your validator funds will be withdrawn to. Make sure that the address you choose is not compromised, does not have approvals for ETH spending to unknown contracts, and is overall safe to use.
Executing a change of withdrawal credentials on Windows is a fairly straightforward process. We will:
- Find out the public BLS credentials of your Solo validators
- Download and launch
staking-deposit-cliusing Command Line
- Generate a .json file for rotating withdrawal credentials to 0x01 address
- Broadcast the .json file's message to the Ethereum Network
The whole procedure will take at most 10 minutes.
Before we can begin the credentials change procedure, you will need to get a list of public BLS credentials for all of your Solo validators.
- 2.Ensure that all of your validator bills are paid
- 3.Click on
Credentials changebutton that will download a list of your validator indices and withdrawal credentials that is required for later
You should end up with a text file with two lists on two separate lines:
- 1.Validator indices, each separated by comma (
Validator index list)
- 2.Withdrawal credentials, each separated by comma, matching the order of respective validator indices (
Withdrawal credentials list)
You have successfully completed step 1 of this tutorial.
- 1.Go to the StakeWise Github page and download the Windows version of
This version of the
staking_deposit-cliis based on the original
cliby the Ethereum Foundation which was modified by StakeWise. You can track all the changes vs the original
- 2.In your
Downloadsfolder, right-click on the downloaded package and select
Extract All. Set
Desktopas your destination folder
- 3.Rename the extracted folder to
- 4.Move the
deposit.exefile one directory up i.e. place it into the
- 5.Disconnect your machine from the Internet / disable Internet at your location to prevent possible intereference with the next steps
Failing to disconnect from the Internet might expose your machine to online interference with the credentials change procedure and result in a loss of all funds. We strongly recommend disconnecting / disabling the Internet connection at your location before you proceed.
- 6.Launch the Command Line with Administrator privileges by typing
cmdinto the Windows search bar and using right-click to
Run as administrator
- 7.Navigate to the extracted files using the following command in the Command Line (insert your Windows profile name instead of YOURPROFILE):
cd /d %YOURPROFILE%/Desktop/staking_deposit-cli
- 8.Launch the
staking_deposit-cliand initiate the credentials change process with the following command in the Command Line:
At this stage, you should see the tool running, asking for your choice of language before you proceed.
You have successfully completed step 2 of this tutorial.
- 1.Choose your preferred language for the procedure by entering the relevant number in the Command Line (use
- 2.Type in
mainnetinto the Command Line when prompted to choose the network
- 3.Type in your mnemonic (seed phrase) into the Command Line when prompted to choose the network (every word must be separated by a space)
0into the Command Line when prompted to enter the index position for the keys
- 5.Copy the
Validator index listfrom the text file you downloaded from StakeWise and paste into the Command Line when prompted to enter the list of validator index numbers
- 6.Copy the
Withdrawal credentials listfrom the text file you downloaded from StakeWise and paste into the Command Line when prompted to enter the list of old BLS withdrawal credentials
- 7.Copy the withdrawal address you would like to use for the withdrawal of validator funds and paste into the Command Line when prompted to enter the new execution address
Please double-check the withdrawal address you insert to ensure that you entered the correct address. Entering the wrong address will result in a loss of all funds.
- 8.Copy and paste the withdrawal address into the Command Line again when asked to repeat
At this stage, you will have generated a .json file that can be found in the
You have successfully completed step 3 of this tutorial.
At this stage, your BLS withdrawal credentials should be changed to 0x01 withdrawal address to enable partial and full withdrawals for your Solo validators. Congratulations!
You have now successfully completed all 4 steps of this tutorial and learned how to execute the rotation of BLS withdrawal credentials to 0x01 withdrawal address.